Job Description: The Assistant Director of Pre-Health Advising, reporting to the Director of Pre-Health Advising, plays an important role in the work of the College of Arts and Sciences and Maxwell advising team. The Assistant Director of Pre-Health Advising provides transformational and strategic leadership in a manner that supports and complements CAS/Maxwell’s faculty advising/mentoring model. This position also works collaboratively with the Director of Operations and Director of Career Advising to create a welcoming and supportive environment for students, carry out the vision for the department, and work synergistically with the Division of Student Success, faculty and academic leaders of the University’s educational programs, and the University in its entirety.
In conjunction with best practices, the Assistant Director of Pre-Health Advising will design, develop, update, and deliver workshops for undergraduate students on topics related to major and/or minor selection, program requirements, professional school admissions, job search strategies, and academic record enhancer programs.
• Expert level knowledge in academic counseling methods and career modeling to interpret and communicate results of individual aptitude and career assessment instruments required.
• Career exploration and counseling experience as part of academic advising experience.
• Ability to communicate and work with diverse populations, excellent interpersonal, planning, teamwork, and organizational skills.
• Ability to independently interpret and make recommendations for improvement in advising policy and procedure; relate well to students, parents, scholars, faculty, staff and others from diverse cultural backgrounds
• Create and maintain efficient systems and processes; use expert judgement in the managing of escalated cases; proactively identify potential problems and lead to mitigate those problems or student situations for your reports.
• Quality community building and collaboration skills. Strong sense of ethics, written and verbal communication skills. Passion for student development through cutting-edge national practices. Sound professional judgment and emotional intelligence.
• Master’s degree and experience in a high-level support or a management role in higher education desired.
• At least two years’ experience in Pre-Health advising preferred.
• Experience in assessment, planning, program reviews, self-studies, academic advising, working with individuals under time and multitasking pressures.