Academic and Career Advising (ACA) at Pacific University seeks to inspire students to connect their experiences inside and outside of the classroom to a meaningful future and empower them to actively engage in their academic and career development. This position will further develop and coordinate the Health Professions Advantage Scholars program, teach courses, and provide academic and career advising.
Duties / Responsibilities
Teaching – 65%
- Teach and mentor undergraduate students in health care career development courses (PACU 190, 290, and 390) including grading and providing feedback on submitted assignments.
- Provide graduate school application support, including helping students to develop and strengthen application materials (e.g. resumes, CVs, personal statements, and cover letters), conduct mock interviews, and other career development supports.
- Draw upon graduate school admissions representatives, alumni, and other industry leaders to provide panels and guest lectures regarding preparation for health care careers.
- Lead, direct, and support teaching assistants within the Advantage Scholars Program.
- Coordination of Health Professions Advantage
Scholars Program – 15%
- Coordinate and further develop Health Care-Advantage Scholars Program: a career and graduate school preparatory program for undergraduates providing intensive advising and experiential learning aimed at maximizing success in the college to graduate program and career transition.
- Collect and analyze records in support of the Advantage Scholars Program.
- Assist in the creation and coordination of health care career-related workshops, career fairs, group advising sessions, networking opportunities, and other programming for undergraduate students.
- Strive to ensure that Health Care-Advantage and its coordinated efforts support the goals of diversity, equity, inclusion, sustainability, and community responsibility embedded in the university mission.
Academic and Career Advising – 20%
- Manage a small, specialized academic advising caseload of assigned pre-health undergraduate student advisees to provide effective academic and career advising and class registration support.
- Connect with resources provided by NAAHP, AAMC, and other associations to help with best practices in health care advising; share best practices with Pacific University advising community.
- Provide career advising, which includes educating students on job search skills, industry trends, and effective career exploration strategies.
- Deliver career assessments to students so that they may understand interests, aptitudes, and goals when making decisions regarding academic and career pathways.
- Assist the Academic & Career Advising team with new student advising, registration, and career education events.
- Communicate with students regarding advising policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Answer academic and career advising questions from drop-in students, e-mails, and phone calls.
- Advise students when assigned advisors are unavailable.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Familiarity with pre-professional advising is required.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in academic advising, career services, teaching, counseling, academic coaching, multicultural student services, student activities, or related higher education field.
- Experience advising or teaching first-generation, low income, and/or BIPOC student populations is preferred.
- Bilingual skills preferred.