The Director/Associate Director of Pre-professional Advising and Fellowships serves as a resource throughout a student's undergraduate career, providing information about course selection, volunteer involvement, field-related internships and other opportunities. Advise and assist students who are seeking prestigious scholarships or fellowships (i.e., Fullbright, Goldwater, Danforth, Rhodes, etc.). Recruit students into the advising program; develop and implement workshops, presentations, and special events; maintain a website that provides access to on-line resources, including a calendar of events; advise/mentor students in their application processes/packets; provide advising services to students and opportunities for networking among students and Adelphi graduates who are professionals and current students in graduate professional programs by facilitating networking webinars and in-person events/fairs; build and leverage networks to build and grow the program offerings.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Academic Services & Retention
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• One-on-one student advising on curricular and pre-professional planning, workshops, webinars, and application assistance to students interested in and students pursuing post-baccalaureate degrees in environmental studies, engineering, law, medicine, dentistry, optometry, physical therapy, and other health professions.
• Advises students on courses needed to complete pre-professional requirements
• Supports students applying to relevant master's, post-baccalaureate and related graduate studies
• Proactively coordinate with faculty advisors regarding a student's application materials.
• Advise students regarding the readiness and timing of their pre-professional application, including how to navigate the application processes, choose professional schools, and prepare for relevant standardized testing.
• Review and advise on personal statement essays
• Edit Committee Letters for students and alumni applying to pre-professional schools
• Maintain and regularly update the departmental website with new offerings, updated information, and an event calendar.
• Regularly network with relevant professional schools and programs and seek out new relationships.
• Represent Adelphi University to the admissions offices of professional schools and associations as an advocate for the Adelphi program as well as an advocate for applicants
• Collaborate with internal campus partners on recruiting efforts
• Represent program during university recruiting and admissions events
• Identify qualified matriculated Adelphi students and recruit them (as appropriate) into the pre-professional advising program
• Develop and execute strategies to increase the number of students from underrepresented populations in the Program
• Develop strategies to increase retention of high achieving pre-professional students
• Develop and execute effective advising and mentoring practices for pre-professional students
• Create and distribute marketing materials to be used by admissions and faculty for recruiting prospective students
• Plan and hold regular workshops for students and parents regarding pre-professional opportunities.
• Collaborate with internal campus partners on orientation and other student programming to market available programs, services, and opportunities.
• Coordinate programs to enhance awareness and knowledge of varied pre-professional fields
• Collaborate with internal campus partners to provide programming that enhances awareness and knowledge of relevant issues for pre-professional students
• Proactively coordinate the application process for students seeking fellowships requiring institutional support.
• Track and document data on successful student placement in professional programs and fellowships, update the department's website regularly with relevant data, and provide an annual, data-focused report to academic leadership.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
• Student Workers
REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
• Must work well in a fast-paced environment and have excellent time-management skills.
• Strong presentation, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Must have the ability to work well with diverse groups of people and have excellent interpersonal skills.
• An entrepreneurial spirit is strongly encouraged.
• Must be able to work as an integral member of a team, demonstrate leadership qualities and have the skills and knowledge to manage a project.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships.
• Ability to build connections and networks to increase opportunities for students.
• Knowledge of requirements for the various professional schools and programs.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate successfully with faculty and other campus partners.
• Excellent writing skills and data-literacy skills. Ability to analyze data and identify patterns and trends; ability to implement actions and identify outcomes based on data.
• Master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university required, with a preference for concentration in counseling, social work, higher education, or business.
• Minimum of 3 years of related advising experience is required.
• Pre-professional advising experience strongly preferred.
• Experience in achieving successful outcomes in measures such as increased acceptance rates to professional schools or building partnership agreements with other institutions strongly preferred.