At Thrive Scholars, our goal is to see talented students of color, from low-income communities, develop the inter-generational wealth and financial security their more privileged peers take for granted, and become the diverse corporate, civic, and academic leaders our country so desperately needs.
Our comprehensive, data-driven, high-touch program model focuses on the key inflection points that can be the difference between just graduating from any college, and graduating from a top college with the grades, degree, career skills, and network needed to thrive in the career of their choice. Over our six-year program, Scholars benefit from admissions and intensive academic preparation before college and a comprehensive set of academic, personal, social-emotional, financial, and career supports throughout college. Within the four-year career development curriculum, Scholars participate in early exposure and discernment programming, two years of intensive personalized career coaching focusing on hard and soft skills, access to our professional network, and corporate partnerships for internships and jobs, ensuring that they are competitive entrants into any career of their choice and that they are positioned to grow and lead within their industry.
In the year ahead, Thrive Scholars will be growing the number of students we serve and deepening our career development programming to include brand new industry-specific tracks, ensuring that Scholars have the tailored preparation they need to enter and grow within competitive career fields, including Life Sciences.
Thrive Scholars is looking to recruit a student-centered, results-driven, and experienced Career Coach, who will support the development and implementation of our new Life Sciences Career Pathway. In partnership with the Program Director, the Career Coach will ensure that interested Scholars are equipped to excel in the life sciences field, including in roles within biotech, research, pharma, diagnostics, health careers, and more. In this role, you will provide high-quality, tailored individual career support to a caseload of Scholars within the Life Sciences track by leveraging your skills in rapport-building and coaching, developing effective and impactful relationships and facilitating group programming. You will also tap into your broad knowledge of Life Science career paths and the skills and competencies required to successfully enter and thrive in those functions and industries. The Career Coach will work closely with other members of the program team and report to the Program Director, Life Sciences Career Pathway. Over the summer, the Career Coach will support students at our Summer Academies, held virtually in 2021, though typically held in-person at USC in LA and at Amherst College. Post-COVID, this role will include occasional academic-year travel and potentially up to 1 week of work in Los Angeles or in Amherst, Massachusetts during our Summer Academy.
To succeed in this role, candidates need a strong understanding of the college and internship experience; demonstrate a knowledge of corporate talent requirements; high emotional intelligence and motivational skills; and the ability to build rapport with students, corporate partners and Thrive Scholar staff.
Individual Scholar Coaching and Support (60%):
- Provide individual coaching and support to Life Sciences track students, focusing on career exploration; career roadmapping and skills development; applying for internship, job and graduate school and fellowship opportunities; and the bar for success in the Scholar’s identified function and industry. Coaching may take place in-person when geographically possible (post-COVID), and, most often, will take place through in-depth video, phone and email exchanges.
- Provide support to volunteer mentors who are also working with students on the Coach’s caseload.
As the primary relationship manager for students on the caseload, assess and triage holistic needs that Scholars may have, including needs related to academic and socioemotional success.
- Maintain records of all appointments, presentations, and services to students.
Internship and Job Recruitment (25%):
- Develop a keen understanding of the success profile sought by life sciences companies and effectively support the recruitment and preparation of Scholars for these internship and job opportunities.
- Provide coaching around resume and cover letter preparation, interview skills, and prepare Scholars for on-the-job success before and during internship/job.
- Work with other members of the career team to provide individualized outreach to students, using our Salesforce database.
Career Program Development, Implementation, and Support (15%):
- In collaboration with others on the Career team, the Career Coach will have the opportunity to develop, implement, and support the core Thrive Scholars Career Development curriculum and programming, as well as Life Sciences programming, including events, workshops, webinars, and the production of lasting resources.
- Program delivery will take place virtually, utilizing a Learning Management System as our curriculum hub, as well as in-person at Summer Academy.
Compensation Range: $80,000 to $90,000
Thrive Scholars offers a robust compensation and benefits package including high-quality health and dental insurance, three weeks of paid vacation, generous professional development funding, and access to an employer-matched retirement plan. This is a full-time non-exempt position.
Thrive Scholars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.
Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Thrive Scholars is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We appreciate your time and will review and respond to all applications received.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree required, major in Life Sciences field preferred
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience, including 3+ years in life sciences industry OR 3+ years providing career/grad school coaching to Life Sciences students in Higher Ed institutions
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in advising, or coaching
- Results-driven with an ability to adapt your approach to achieve stated results
- Ability to build strong and trusting rapport with a diverse group of college students
- Strong knowledge of life sciences career paths and employment landscape
- Deep understanding of the college to career journey for underrepresented students
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, and organizational skills
- Capacity to balance multiple and varied tasks, meet deadlines, and use well-developed time management and organizational skills
- Experience with Canvas or other LMS
- Experience using a database for documentation and reporting (Salesforce preferred)
For more information, please visit thrivescholars.org.