The University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford (UICOMR) seeks applications for a full-time in-person Academic Advisor who is passionate about working with and assisting students. This position provides academic support to medical students. Focus areas include learning strategies, academic success, and career development. Responsible for working with students in individual and group meetings. Develops and implements workshops and programs for current and new students.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Outreach to students in establishing academic goals and developing effective study strategies.
• Identify students with academic difficulties, implement early-intervention strategies and refer to appropriate resources.
• Track student advising activities, including advising notes, student petitions, grade audits, and probation. Monitor and report on the progress/success of assigned students.
• Help students obtain academic success to reach career goals.
• Research and respond to inquiries and concerns from students and refer to appropriate services/make recommendations.
• Collaborate with faculty to provide strategies and resources to support student success.
• Encourage student participation in student organizations.
• Engage in professional development opportunities.
• Collaborate on student affairs events, including orientation, Road to Residency workshops, Match Day, Commencement, and other special events during evenings and weekends as needed.
• Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.Required qualifications:
Candidates for this position must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Education, counseling, or a related field. A minimum of three years’ work experience in academic advising, career services, counseling, or related areas. The ability to work variable hours, including some evenings and weekends, is required.
The University of Illinois College of Medicine is one of the largest medical schools in the United States and offers outstanding opportunities for development for its students, faculty, and staff. Additionally, Rockford’s regional health sciences campus educates Nursing, Pharmacy, and Master’s programs in Public Health and Biomedical Technology students.
Rockford is a progressive, mid-sized metropolitan area in northern Illinois, west of Chicago. The city has an elite college baseball team, a hockey team, numerous golf courses, an award-winning park system, three botanical gardens, an art museum, theaters, a revitalizing downtown, and a river walk. Public and several private school systems are available.
To apply, you must visit https://jobs.uic.edu
and include a cover letter, CV, and list of three professional references.
Applications will be accepted through February 27, 2023. For fullest consideration, please apply by February 6, 2023.