Duties / Responsibilities
- Under the direction of the Associate Director, provides personalized, intentional, and holistic advising support to students in their exploration of and preparation for a career in the health professions.
- Provides individual advising using knowledge of the application process and strategies that focus on identifying individual student strengths, guiding students to the best course of action for their individual pathway.
- Teach multiple sections of a first-year student success course.
- Educate students on the career pathways in healthcare to determine individual fit and requirements to enter the profession.
- Maintains thorough records on Pre-Health students through university software.
- Provide counsel and connection for all academic options including, but not limited to: degree options, extracurricular activities, study abroad program(s), research, and internships.
- Present virtual and in-person group workshop and information sessions to discuss an introduction to the field, application prep, internship prep, and personal statement writing
- Under the direction of the Associate Director and Coordinator, work collaboratively to develop new initiatives and resources on a variety of different topics in a variety of different formats.
- Create and update educational materials on a range of topics, including web content and electronic resources.
- Identifies and outreaches to students interested in Pre-Health in a proactive and supportive manner.
- Develop a professional network through NAAHP (National Association of Advisors in the Health Professions) or other professional organizations to inform and improve best practices.
- Serve as member of the Pre-Health Advisory Committee made up of pre-health advisors and stakeholders at Arizona State University to inform and improve best practices in pre-health advising.
- Other duties as needed.
Bachelor’s degree AND one (1) year or more previous experience in one or more of the following: advising, student recruitment/retention or related student services utilizing a proactive and innovative approach which results in demonstrated outcomes in retention, graduation, and academic planning; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.Preferred Qualifications
- Evidence of a Master's Degree completed or in progress.
- Experience teaching coursework or leading workshops for students in an educational environment.
- Experience demonstrating sensitivity to needs of a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated knowledge of principles, practices, procedures and methods of evidence-based academic advising strategies.
- Experience in applying the principles, techniques and methods of teamwork, compromise and collaboration to produce desired outcomes.
- Experience in the use of internet-based research tools, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office computer applications.
- Experience using student information systems such as PeopleSoft, Salesforce, and DARS.
- Experience in rapidly adapting and effectively utilizing new technology, practices, policies and methods.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with peers, faculty, students, administration, faculty and other interested parties.
- Experience in working effectively in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities.
- Evidence of effective communication skills.
- Experience in interpreting student needs and determining when referral to other University resources is appropriate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ASU academic structure and organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic programs, colleges, and departments university-wide.