The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a FREE six-week summer career-enrichment opportunity for college freshman and sophomores interested in careers in the health professions. The health profession tracks available include:medicine, dentistry, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant and public health.
The program is committed to strengthening the career development of underrepresented and/or economically disadvantaged students and prepare them for a successful career in the health professions.
SHPEP offers students a variety of academic and career experiences:
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences and quantitative topics
- Learning and study skills development, including methods of individual and group learning
- Clinical exposure through small-group rotations in health care settings, simulation experiences, and seminars. This is limited to 5% of program time for all the sites
- Career development sessions directed toward exploration of the health professions, the admissions process, and the development of an individualized education plan
- A financial literacy and planning workshop that informs students of financial concepts and strategies
- A health policy seminar series to expose scholars to a larger view of health care, health systems, and the social determinants of health
- An introduction to interprofessional education that addresses effective collaboration across health professions
2019 SHPEP Alumni Scholarship Opportunity
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) Alumni Advisory Board is excited to announce the application opening for the Rubens J. Pamies Scholarship Fund! Four scholarships, in the amount of $500, will be awarded to alumni who participated in the MMEP, SMEP, SMDEP, or SHPEP program. The scholarship, conceived by program alumni, is designed to help scholars alleviate the costs associated with pursuing a career in the health professions. The scholarship may be used to help pay for expenses such as test preparation courses (e.g. MCAT or DAT prep courses), application fees, test fees, and travel expenses for interviews. Ideal candidates will demonstrate a commitment to eliminating health disparities by providing patient-centered and culturally-sensitive heath care. The SHPEP alumni board members are dedicated to working with its fellow alumni to create a bright career pathway into the health professions. The application deadline is April 1, 2019.
Please encourage your students and program alumni to apply via the following link: https://form.jotform.com/SHPEP/2019PamiesSchFundApplication
SHPEP is a national program funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation with direction and technical assistance provided by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Dental Education Association (ADEA).