Position: Academic Advisor, Premedicine and Professional Health ProgramsJob Opening ID: 41126Job Summary
Northwestern School of Professional Studies (SPS) is committed to helping its professional students advance their career. SPS Student Services is looking for an academic advisor who can design and deliver excellent guidance for online students located across the country and globe. The Academic Adviser will join a team of student-centered and forward-thinking advisers who are entrusted to provide proactive support for adult students and innovative student service efforts.
The Academic Advisor provides guidance and counsel to students designed to assist them in making decisions associated with their academic and/or career experiences. This position assesses individual situations and circumstances and creates, implements and monitors recommendations that meet student needs. The advisor ensures compliance with all associated policies, rules and regulations.
Please Note: As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.Specific Responsibilities:
Provide proactive high-quality academic advising and career development service to a high-achieving and largely online student population, with a focus on continual improvement of department practices.
Serve as core advisor to students in preparatory programs for professional health careers, as well as additional programs
Helps develop and implement best practices, processes, and training to achieve Student Service team goals.
Leverages technology and develops new ways to best serve the greatest number of students effectively.
Provides customer service-oriented, student centered guidance and counsel based on individual circumstances, preferences, etc. and in compliance with all associated policies, rules and regulations.
Academic advising & counseling may include: degree planning and management (qualifications for enrollment; major/minor selection, ; time management; tips for success; course planning, sequencing, alternatives, waivers, etc.); monitoring academic progress; graduation preparation; application and/or referrals to graduate schools, etc.
Career development advising may include: career assessment; personal statement review; mock interviewing; assessing trends in field; coaching search strategies for internships, co-ops and/or jobs; resume and cover letter development
Manages, researches, and proposes improvements based on student feedback.Administration
Implements strategic plans and contributes to process by reviewing existing practices and recommending enhancements and improvements.
Participates with area/unit senior staff in the conceptualization, development and presentation of materials used in operations.Programs/Events
Develops plans and arranges programs - meetings, workshops, seminars, trainings, events, company visits, information sessions, career fairs, etc. designed to provide information, promote resources, and to build internal and external relationships.
Reviews programs and recommends changes to increase value, resources and participants.
Management of student organization
Represents student services as information sessions – represent advising, finding a student speakerTechnology
Identifies improvement opportunities in regard to technology that will better enable advising program to achieve its goals and objectives.
Reviews processes and recommends changes to incorporate state-of-the-art technology as appropriate into administrative, resource, service, etc.
Recommends changes and enhancements to leverage technology to best serve the greatest number of students as effectively as possible.Relationships
Partners internally with admissions and faculty to provide information regarding interfacing academic and career resources and services.Evaluation
Analyzes program sessions and interacts with participants for purpose of gaining insight, growing and strengthening program knowledge, and optimizing student satisfaction.
Coordinates the collection, analysis & reporting of required information for surveys, review documents, public information documents, etc.
Analyzes evaluation data from internal/external participants (students, faculty, employers, etc.) to assist in program development and updates.
Implements corrective actions required as a result of surveys or other indicators.Compliance
Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, local & NU laws, regulations, policies & procedures.
Prepares documentation as required.Miscellaneous
Performs other duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 1 year career counseling/advising in higher education or 1 year of industry experience; or other relevant experience required.
- Experience providing academic and/or career advising to students in a two- or four-year higher education environment.
- Knowledge of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, with good judgement and attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and problem solve.
- Ability leverage technology to improve workplace processes.
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team environment.
- Skilled in Microsoft office software.
- Open to coaching/feedback to enhance job performance.
- Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a master's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with students in the sciences or students in professional health programs
- PeopleSoft Campus Solutions (SES) or similar.
- Experience working with CRM/database.
- Knowledge of and experience using social media to support students.
- Successful track record leading yield and persistence initiatives.
- Advanced in Microsoft Office suite and Adobe products.