Reporting to the Director of the Pre-Medical Program in the College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM), the Pre-Medical Advisor guides students through their academic planning and application to medical school through the Pre-Medical Program. The Pre-Medical Advisor is part of a team that develops, coordinates, implements, and assesses a variety of activities designed to assist pre-medical undergraduate students in their transition to University life and throughout their time at MSU. This position advises students in all majors on the appropriate courses to be on track for MCAT preparation and medical school applications. This position helps students find appropriate department/faculty advising and connect students to pre-medical resources. The Pre-Medical Advisor assists the Director in workshops and programming for the Pre-Medical Program.Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the execution of the Pre-Medical Program that addresses the needs and promotes the academic success of pre-medical students at MSU.
- Provides academic advising to pre-medical students, including transactional advising about course selection, developmental advising about personal, career, and major choices, intrusive advising for at-risk students, and academic coaching.
- Manages a caseload of undergraduate advisees
- Maintains currency in the theory and practice of pre-medical advising and stays updated on current pre-medical information and best practices; maintains currency in the University policies and procedures that impact pre-medical students.
- Guides students through meeting both academic and career-related admissions requirements and supports students through the medical school application process; helps pre-medical students understand and successfully negotiate University processes, procedures, policies, and regulations.
- Collaborates with Admissions, Student Academic Services, and the CSAM SSC to facilitate the onboarding of new First-Year and Transfer students interested in pre-medical study
- Monitors the pre-medical email account, manages the tracking and outreach from the Pre-Medical Inquiry form, and updates online pre-medical resources.
- Assists in creating and presenting pre-medical workshops; assists with the development and delivery of new student orientation and family orientation programs.
- Collaborates with academic departments and advising offices across campus to support pre-medical students; collaborates with MSU departments on student success and retention initiatives
- Promotes experiential learning opportunities, clinical shadowing, research, and other career-related opportunities to students in the Pre-Medical Program
- Monitors students' progress towards graduation, completion of admission requirements, and the medical school application process for students in the Pre-Medical Program; tracks MSU student acceptance into medical school
- Teaches sections of GNED 199 Freshman Seminar.
- Represents the Pre-Medical Program at University events and on committees, as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Master's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience working in a higher education setting or similar organization.
- Availability to attend admissions, or student facing events on evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with and experience working with pre-medical students.
- Familiarity and experience with STEM academic programs.
- Facility with Banner, DegreeWorks, Navigate, and other applications related to student academic records and student support services.
- Familiarity with current understanding of core concepts, values, and competencies of Academic Advising.