Assistant Director of Career and Personal Development - Career and Major Exploration
This position will support students’ personal and career development, with a particular focus on career and major exploration and experiential learning. They will collaborate with faculty on the curricular and co-curricular integration of career exploration and preparation – with emphasis on pre-health fields. This position will be charged with helping students broaden their vocational exploration beyond the campus, through applied experiences such as Alternative Breaks, shadowing and volunteer experiences, and the Alma Venture program.Essential Functions:
- Serve as a Career Coach for all majors, specializing in major and career exploration, including the facilitation of assessment tools such as Clifton Strengths and Focus2.
- As a member of the Pre-Health Committee, collaborate with faculty to deliver co-curricular programming preparing students for graduate study and careers in health professions through experiential learning and professional development opportunities.
- Organize and host events, outreach, and individualized coaching sessions to help students of all majors explore major and career pathways, experiential learning, and professional development
- Co-supervise and train a team of student Career Peers to conduct resume and cover letter review, interview preparation and other professional development, as well as providing these services directly to students in career coaching sessions
- Provide administrative oversight to the Alternative Breaks program
- Coordinate on-campus student employment postings and collaborate on the implementation of the First Year Work to Earn Program
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational and analytical skills
- Master’s degree or commensurate experience
- Experience in a higher education setting or working with college students
- Experience working in pre-health professions programming or in a health field
- Ability to analyze data and clearly communicate findings to internal and external audiences
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of application that addresses the skills required for the position, a résumé, an Alma College Employment Application and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and nature of relationship of three (3) professional references via email to: Carla Jensen, Director of Career & Personal Development, Alma College, firstname.lastname@example.org
. For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.