Academic Advisor II (Pre-Health Advisor) (#234970)
Please note: This position is categorized as an “Academic Advisor II” at Georgia Tech, but the responsibilities of the role are exclusively related to pre-graduate and pre-professional (especially pre-health) advising. Please refer to the “additional information” section to see the most accurate job description.
Job Purpose: Provide information and counsel to undergraduate and graduate students within an assigned area regarding their academic pursuits and progress. Prepare and maintain associated student records. Usually concentrate in graduate programs or specialized academic area. May provide work direction to Academic Advisor Is and administrative support staff.Major Responsibilities:
• Meet with students concerning questions and issues regarding various aspects of their academic program. May include questions regarding academic program requirements, registration, permits, overloads, degree petitions, change of major, commencement, curriculum, academic progress, and Institute policy.
• Perform reference searches and records access in conjunction with student inquiries.
• Respond to academic administration and faculty requests for assistance in administrative, recruitment or student related matters. Prepare assessment reports; maintain student related records, files and databases;
• Review, approve and process curriculum related actions.
• Interact with other academic units in conjunction with joint programs May schedule and coordinate student events.
• May provide input to academic unit's planning efforts. Perform other related duties as assigned.Minimum Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Four to five years job related experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: This job requires knowledge of advanced university level academic program requirements and related administrative processes within assigned area. Also required are verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills and basic computer skills.
- Preferred Education: Master's Degree in higher education administration, counseling, or a field related to healthcare professions (e.g. biology, biochemistry, etc.)
- Preferred Work Experience: Four to five years job related experience
- Preferred Skills: This position requires familiarity with the admissions process for professional schools (e.g. medical, veterinary, pharmacy, osteopathy, dental, etc.) and a commitment to student-centered advising practices. Familiarity with pre-health professional and student organizations (e.g. NAAHP, AMSA, etc.) is preferred. Also required are verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills and basic computer skills as well as specialized computer applications, such as professional school application databases and Microsoft Office.
The Pre-Health Advisor works with students and alumni who choose to explore health professions and pursue admission to health professional schools. While engaged in all aspects of pre-professional and pre-graduate school advising, this advisor takes lead on initiatives related to pre- health programming for students pursuing a variety of health-related careers. This is a full-time position that reports to the Assistant Director for Pre-Health Advising within Pre-Graduate and Pre-Professional Advising.The position will be responsible for:
• Advising pre-health students on preparing and applying for professional health programs, such as medical, dental or veterinary schools
• Organizing workshops for students on topics such as pre-health preparation, application procedures, MCAT, interview skills, and letters of evaluation
• Coordinating application support to include but not limited to, reviewing letters of evaluation for applicants, organizing and certifying faculty reference letters, and conducting mock interviews
• Supporting the coordination and promotion of Pre-Health events
• Advising pre-health student organizations
• Supervising pre-health peer advisors and supporting student-driven events
• Assisting in recruiting prospective students to Tech by participating in campus recruiting events such as Connect-with-Tech, Family Weekend, Second Look Day, and recruiting events sponsored by individual colleges
• Holding information sessions during FASET, Tech’s new student orientation program
• Maintaining data and statistics of the number of pre-health students, applications, and acceptance rates
• Developing and maintaining a pre-health web site with information for prospective students and detailed information for current students
• Maintaining a classroom management tool devoted to Pre-Health (Canvas) and a discussion board (Piazza)
• Coordinating fairs and tabling events associated with pre-health and health career opportunities
• Working with Atlanta community to identify clinical opportunities for Tech’s pre-health students
• Taking part in appropriate National Associations (NAAHP)
• Other duties as assigned in support of Pre-Graduate and Pre-Professional Advising
• Coordination of a Pre-Health Practicum Course
Please include a cover letter with application.