Duties / Responsibilities:
PROVIDE ADVISING AND MENTORING BY:
• Advising/assisting targeted health professions student populations, as designated based on student need by the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator.
• Providing individual advising, mentoring, and coaching for students on health profession career-related topics in person, by phone, email, and through Zoom/videoconferencing.
• Designing and delivering group advising sessions/workshops and orientation programming targeted at pre-health students in various stages of the pre-health exploration and application process.
• Support course instruction for student success/life skills non-academic classes.
• Helping students identify and sequence appropriate prerequisite courses.
• Providing guidance in finding clinical, volunteer and leadership experience.
• Assisting students with the application process, including selecting schools, timing their applications, writing personal statements, preparing primary and secondary applications/essays, and preparing for interviews, in collaboration with Career Services and the Writing Center.
• Guiding students in selecting academic majors that align with their parallel plan, assessing their academic abilities, and examining alternative careers.
• Assisting Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator with maintaining the pre-health professions student database and email contact list and communicating detailed information to students in a timely manner.
COORDINATE RECRUITING AND MARKETING BY:
• Assisting Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator with recruiting and marketing efforts on UI campus, including email and/or phone correspondence and on-campus meetings with prospective students and parents.
• Helping maintain and promote social media outlets and program website.
• Representing the Pre-Health Professions Program at on-campus and regional, off campus recruiting events as deemed appropriate by the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator.
PLANNING AND FACILITATING EVENTS BY:
• Planning, organizing, and assisting with educational and informational programs, workshops, and orientation programming for pre-health professions students.
• Facilitating information sessions for professionals from regional health professions schools that are of high interest to University of Idaho students.
ENSURE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND GROWTH BY:
• Building and maintaining professional knowledge in each health professions field, including relevant admission standards and policies, by studying program websites and reading latest monographs and articles about current issues in pre-health professions advising and related topics.
• Maintaining membership in NAAHP as budget allows.
• Maintaining membership in UIACADA and NACADA as budget allows.
• Maintaining professional networks on and off campus.
• Attending professional conferences (WAAHP, NAAHP), as budget allows.
CONTRIBUTE TO UNIVERSITY ADVISING SERVICES TEAM EFFORT BY:
• Actively participating in University Advising Services meetings, trainings, and orientations.
• Collaborating with student organizations, student support services, Career Services, professional schools, faculty, department heads, and staff members in support of student success initiatives.
• Providing excellent customer support to internal and external parties.
• Supporting cross-area work efforts during recruitment and retention initiatives.
• Serving as a back-up academic advisor as needed during peak advising times or staff transition.
• Completing other duties as assigned by Executive Director of Student Success Initiatives, Associate Director for Advising (Student Success) or Pre-Health Professions Advising Coordinator.
SUPPORT STUDENT ENGAGEMENT BY:
• Serving as staff advisor to pre-health student organizations, as assigned by the Pre-Health Professions Program Coordinator, by mentoring officers and assisting in planning events.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience presenting information clearly and concisely to individuals, small, and large groups.
• Experience working in a student-centered customer service-oriented team environment to accomplish shared goals.
• Experience interpreting and applying standards and regulations.
• Eligible for membership in NAAHP, UIACADA, and NACADA
• Willingness to travel and to work selected evenings and weekends.
• Master’s degree.
• Post-secondary advising/counseling experience or professional experience relevant to the health professions.
• Experience with health professions advising or advising for application to advanced education and/or professional programs.
• Experience presenting educational content in large group and individual setting.
• Experience compiling and analyzing information for leadership/administrative decisions.
• Proven excellence in public speaking skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
• Knowledge of the health professions.