The Health Professions Advising Office is seeking an academic advisor to advise and assist students interested in pursuing health professions. The advisor will assist in recruiting students, communicating with health professions programs, and working with academic advisors in health related departments. The advisor will exercise discretion and independent judgment and will report to the HPAO Director.
This is a professional position in which the incumbent provides academic advising to students, assists in the coordination, development and implementation of advising and counseling workshops and programs, and supports retention initiatives. Incumbent frequently exercises discretion and independent judgment in developing and implementing advising and counseling programs and materials, and conducting workshops and presentations.Examples of Work Performed
- Advises students in health professions about curricular information, course scheduling, major selection, degree requirements, and alternative courses of study.
- Represents Health Professions Advising at recruiting functions.
- Maintains current information about admission requirements for professional and graduate programs in the health professions.
- Guides and directs students throughout the application process to professional schools.
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring Department.
- Plans, develops and implements advising and counseling workshops and programs.
- Advises students on their academic curricula and makes suggestions based on one-on-one interaction with the student.
- Provides students with information and support related to preparation for and application to health profession schools.
Master’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
One (1) year of experience related to the above described duties.
Must possess a valid State of Mississippi driver’s license within first thirty (30) days of employment.
Experience in advising and/or in health professions