Duties / Responsibilities:
1. Advise students who are interested in pursuing specified pre-professional courses of study, provide information and guidance on academic-related issues such as pre-professional program admission requirements and processes, graduation requirements, course planning, registration, transfer credit evaluation/substitution, and major exploration.
2. Identify and implement strategies to recruit and retain the number of students from underserved populations (e.g., women and students of color) who potentially apply to medical and other professional schools.
3. Coordinate the annual student-run PreMed/PrePA Conference held every spring semester; select, supervise, and mentor student committee.
4. Develop and/or presents education programs designed to supplement or enhance academic preparedness (eg. premed information session, recruitment presentations).
5. Supervise one lower-level advising staff and/or student employees and participate in hiring, training and evaluating those employees.
6. Teach pre-professional courses at the university (UGS 1020: Intro to PreMed/PrePA, UGS 1030: Intro to PreDental, and/or UGS 1021: Applying to Medical School)
7. Coordinate and/or participates in the advising-related portion of new student orientation sessions.
8. Serve on university committees and makes recommendations that affect curriculum requirements, advising processes, and program development and published materials. May meet with representatives of pre-professional programs from institutions throughout the country.
9. Other duties as assigned; some responsibilities may change in the future as office needs evolve.
10. Some travel may be required.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area plus three years of experience in academic advising, guidance and counseling or equivalency; demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required.
Master’s degree. Experience in supervision, advising, event planning, and teaching in a higher education environment.