| || |
The extensive bibliography of medicine — what it’s like to be a health care professional, what it’s like to be a patient, what the experience of preparing for a career in health care is like — provides an important complement to the students’ own experiences, in which they draw on their own encounters with illness and those of their families, activities in service to those who are ill, and time spent “shadowing” and talking with professionals in the students’ prospective careers.
This list of references, always a work in progress, should provide ample material for enriching one’s knowledge of the professions. The list is long and diverse, and the advisor can be of help in steering students to those references that may be of most help to the individual student.
In the largest first section, each reference is followed by a code indicating the broad subject material, since one book may contain insights into more than one subject. Here is the key to the code:
B-what it’s like to become a physician: the medical student and resident experience
C-choosing a career in health care
P-what it’s like to be a physician: memoirs and other books, collections of essays
Pt-what it’s like to be a patient
When books have been reviewed in The Advisor, the date of review is indicated in parentheses after the citation.
· Adams, Patch and Jacobs, Pamela. House Calls: How We Can All Heal The World One Visit at a Time. P
· Adams, Patch and Mylander, Maureen. Gesundheit!. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press P
· Alvord, Lori Arviso and Van Pelt, Elizabeth Cohen. The Scalpel and the Silver Bear. New York: Bantam Books, 1999. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 21, No. 4, Sept. 2001, pp. 39-40)
· Austin, Paul. Something for the Pain: One Doctor's Account of Life and Death in the ER. W. W. Norton Company, 2008. P
· Becker, Howard Saul. Boys in White: Student Culture in Medical School. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1961 B
· Belli, Angela and Coulehan, John L. Blood and Bone. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, ©1998. Pt
· Belkin, Lisa, First Do No Harm. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993. P
· Bickel, Janet B. Women in Medicine: Getting in, Growing, and Advancing. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1983. P, B
· Biro, David. One Hundred Days: My Unexpected Journey from Doctor to Patient. New York: Pantheon, 2000. P
· Brody, Howard. Stories of Sickness. Oxford, New York: Basic Books, 2003. P, Pt
· Boulevice Lyons, Dianne. Planning Your Career in Alternative Medicine: A Guide to Degree and Certificate Programs in Alternative Healthcare. Garden City Park, NY: Avery Pub. Group, 1997. C
· Breedlove, C., ed. Uncharted Lines: Poems from the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). Albany, CA: Boaz, 1998. P
· Broyard, Anatole. Intoxicated by My Illness. New York: Ballantine Books, 1992. Pt
· Bursztajn, Harold; Feinbloom, Richard; Hamm, Robert; and Brodsky, Archie. Medical Choices, Medical Chances. How Patients, Families, and Physicians Can Cope with Uncertainty. New York: Delacorte Press/Seymour Lawrence, 1981. P, Pt
· Campo, Rafael. Landscape with Human Figure. Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 2002. P
· Campo, Rafael. The Desire to Heal: A Doctor's Education in Empathy, Identity, and Poetry. New York, NY: W.W. Norton, 1997. P, B
· Carson, Ben. Gifted Hands, the Ben Carson Story. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1991 P
· Cassell, Joan. The Woman in the Surgeon's Body. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1998. P
· Chekhov, Anton. Ward Six and Other Stories. New York: New American Library, 1965. P
· Coles, Robert and Testa, Randy-Michael. A Life in Medicine: A Literary Anthology. New York: W.W. Norton & Co. INC., 2003. P
· Coles, Robert. The Call of Stories. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1989. P, Pt
· Colgrove, Melba and Bloomfield, Harold H. and McWilliams, Peter. How to Survive the Loss of a Love. Los Angeles, CA: Prelude Press, 1991. Pt
· Cousins, Norman and Robards, Jason. Anatomy of an Illness. Studio City, CA: Dove, 1987. P, Pt
· Crichton, Michael. Five Patients: The Hospital Explained. New York: Knopf, 1970. P, Pt
· Dan, Bruce B. and Young, Roxanne K. A Piece of My Mind: A Collection of Essays from JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association). New York: Feeling Fine, 1998 P
· Davis – Floyd, Robbie and St. John, Gloria. From Doctor to Healer: The Transformative Journey. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 1998. B
· Duncan, David Ewing. Residents: The Perils and Promise of Educating Young Doctors. New York: Scribner, 1996. B
· Elders, Jocelyn, Jocelyn Elders, MD: From Sharecropper's Daughter to Surgeon General of the USA. New York: William Morrow and Company, 1996. P
· Eliot, George. Middlemarch. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World, 1962 P
· Fadiman, Anne. The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down. New York: The Noonday Press, 1997. P, Pt (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 20, No. 2, March 2000, pp. 64-65)
· Frank, Arthur W. At the Will of the Body: Reflections on Illness. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1991. Pt
· Galanti, Geri Ann. Caring for Patients from Different Cultures: Case Studies from American Hospitals. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1997 D
· Garrett, Susan, Taking Care of Our Own: A Year in the Life of a Small Hospital. New York: Dutton, 1994. P
· Gawande, Atul. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science. New York: Metropolitan Books, 2002. P (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 23, No. 4, Sept. 2003, pp. 35-38)
· Gerber, Lane A. Married to their Careers: Career and Family Dilemmas in Doctors' Lives. New York: Tavistock Publications, 1983 P
· Groopman, Jerome. Second Opinions: Stories of Intuition and Choice in the Changing World of Medicine. New York: Penguin Books, 2001. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 21, No. 3, June 2001, pp. 40-45)
· Groopman, Jerome E. The Measure of Our Days. New York: Penguin, 1998. P, P
· Hartman, David and Asbell, B. White Cane: The Extraordinary Odyssey of a Blind Physician. P
· Hilfiker, David. Healing the Wounds: A Physician Looks at his Work. New York: Pantheon Books, 1985. P
· Hilfiker, David. Not all of us are Saints. New York: Hill and Wang, 1994. P, Pt
· Iserson, Kenneth J. Death to Dust: What Happens to Dead Bodies? Arizona: Galen Press, 2001. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 22, No. 3, June 2002, pp. 82-85)
· Kaplan, Johnathan. The Dressing Station: A Surgeon’s Chronicle of War and Medicine. New York: Grover / Atlantic, 2001. P (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 23, No. 4, Sept. 2003, pp. 35-38)
· Klass, Perri. Baby Doctor: A Pediatrician's Training. New York: Random House, 1992. B
· Kleinman, Arthur. The Illness Narratives. New York: Basic Books, 1988. P, Pt
· Konner, Melvin. Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School. New York: Viking, 1987 B
· Kozak, Alan and Svahn, David. Let Me Listen To Your Heart: Writings by Medical Students. New York: Basset Healthcare, 2002. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol.23, No.2, March 2003, pp. 35-36)
· LaCombe, Michael, ed. On Being a Doctor. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians, 1995. P
· Lacombe, Michael, ed. On Being a Doctor 2: Voices of Physicians and Patients. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians, 2000. P, Pt
· Laster, Leonard. M.D. Life After Medical School, Thirty-two Doctors Describe How They Shaped Their Medical Careers. New York: Norton, 1996. P
· Lerner Rothman, Ellen. White Coat: Becoming a Doctor at Harvard Medical. New York: W. Morrow, 1999. B
· Lo Chin, Eliza. This Side of Doctoring: Reflections from Women in Medicine. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003. P, Pt (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 24, No. 2, June 2004, pp. 51-53)
· Lorde, Audre. The Cancer Journals. San Francisco: Aunt Lute Books, , 1980. Pt
· Lown, Bernard. The Lost Art of Healing. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1996. P
· Loxterkamp, David. A Measure of My Days: The Journal of a Country Doctor. Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New England, 1997. P
· Ludmerer, Kenneth M.. Time to Heal: American Medical Education from the Turn of the Century to the Era of Managed Care. Oxford University Press, 1999. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 23, No. 4, Sept. 2003, pp. 35-38)
· Maguire, Mary Ann. PreMed: Who Makes It and Why? New York: Teachers College Press, 1999. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 20, No. 3, June 2000, pp. 49-50)
· Malcom, Andrew H.. Someday: The Story of a Mother and her Son. New York: Knopf, 1991. Pt
· Marion, Robert. Learning to Play God: The Coming of Age of a Young Doctor. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1991. B
· Marion, Robert. The Intern Blues. New York: Morrow, 1989. B
· Martin, Emily. The Woman in the Body: A Cultural Analysis of Reproduction. Boston: Beacon Press, 1992. D
· McCrum, Robert. My Year Off, Recovering Life After a Stroke. City: Broadway Books, 1999. Pt
· McPhee, John A. Heirs of General Practice. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1986, 1984. P
· Nash, David. Future Practice Alternatives. New York: Igaku - Shoin, 1987. C
· National Health Council 270 Ways to Put Your Talent to Work in the Health Field. Washington, D.C.: National Health Council, 1998. C
· Nechas, Eileen and Foley, Denise. Unequal Treatment, What You Don't Know About How Women are Treated by the Medical Community. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1994. D
· Nuland, Sherwin B. Doctors: the Biography of Medicine. New York: Vintage Books, 1995. P
· Nuland, Sherwin B. How We Die. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1994. Pt
· Pekkanen, John. M.D. Doctors Talk About Themselves. New York: Delacorte Press, 1988. P
· Purtilo, Ruth B. and Haddad, Amy Marie. Health Professional and Patient Interaction, 5th Edition. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1996. P, Pt
· Radner, Gilda. It's Always Something. New York: Avon Books, 1996. Pt
· Remen, Rachel Naomi. Kitchen Table Wisdom. New York: Riverhead Books, 1996; and My Grandfather’s Blessings. Stories of Strength, Refuge, and Belonging. New York: Riverhead Books, 2000. P, Pt
· Reynold, R. and Stone, J. On Doctoring. New York: Simon and Schuster. 1995. P, Pt
· Ross, Alan Duncan and Gibbs, Harlan. The Medicine of ER, or How We Almost Die. Basic Books New York: Basic Books,1996. P
· Roth, Phillip. Patrimony: A True Story. South Yarmouth, MA: Curley Pub, 1991. Pt
· Sacks, Oliver W. A Leg to Stand On. New York: Perennial Library, 1987. P, Pt
· Savett, Laurence A.. The Human Side of Medicine. Westport, CT. Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002. P, Pt, B, C (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 22, No. 4, Sept. 2002, pp. 76-77)
· Scannell M.D., Kate. Death of The Good Doctor: Lessons from the Heart of the AIDS Epidemic. San Francisco: Cleis Press Inc., 1996. P, Pt (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 24, No. 1, March 2004, pp. 48-49)
· Schweitzer, Albert. Out of My Life and Thought. New York: The New American Library, 1949 P
· Selzer, Richard. Letters to A Young Doctor. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1982. P (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 20, No. 4, Dec. 1999, pp. 39-40)
· Siegel, Bernie S. Bauers, John. Love, Medicine, and Miracles. New York, N.Y.: Caedmon, 1988. P, Pt
· Sirica, Coimbra M. Current Challenges to M.D. & D.O.’s. New York: Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, 1996. P
· Sontag, Susan. Illness as Metaphor and AIDS and its Metaphors. New York: Doubleday, 1990. Pt, D
· Spiro, Howard M. Empathy and the Practice of Medicine, Beyond the Pill and Scalpel. New Have: Yale University Press, 1993. P, Pt
· Stone, John. In the Country of Hearts: Journeys in the Art of Medicine. New York, NY: Delacorte Press, 1993. P
· Thomas, Lewis. The Youngest Science: Notes of a Medicine-Watcher. New York: Viking Press, 1983. P
· Verghese, Abraham. My Own Country. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1994. P, Pt
· Verghese, Abraham. The Tennis Partner: A Doctor's Story of Friendship and Loss. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1998. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 20, No. 4, Sept. 2000, pp. 71-72)
· Weil, Andrew. Health and Healing. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1998. P, Pt
· Williams, William Carlos and Coles, Robert. The Doctor Stories. New York, NY: New Directions, 1984. P, Pt
· Zazove, Philip. When the Phone Rings, My Bed Shakes: Memoirs of a Deaf Doctor. Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet University Press, 1993 P
· Bosk, Charles L. Forgive and Remember: Managing Medical Failure. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979.
· Gorovitz, Samuel. Drawing The Line, Life, Death, and Ethical Choices in an American Hospital. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.
· Gorovitz, Samuel. Doctors' Dilemmas. New York: London: Macmillan, Collier Macmillan, 1982.
· Pence, Gregory E. Classic Cases in Medical Ethics: Accounts of Cases that Have Shaped Medical Ethics with Philosophical, Legal, and Historical Background. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill, 2004.
· Quill, Timothy E. Death and Dignity: Making Choices and Taking Charge. New York: W. W. Norton and Co., Inc., 1993.
HISTORY OF MEDICINE
· Friedman, Meyer and Friedland, Gerald W. Medicine’s 10 Greatest Discoveries. New Haven, C.T.: Yale University Press, 1998.
· Gevitz, Norman. The D.O.’s: Osteopathic Medicine in America. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1982
· Loudon, Irvine. Western Medicine, An Illustrated History. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
· Martin, Emily. Flexible Bodies: Tracking Immunity in American Culture from the Days of Polio to the Age of AIDS. Boston: Beacon Press, 1994.
· Rothman, Sheila. Living in the Shadow of Death: Tuberculosis and the Social Experience of Illness in American History. New York: Basic Book, © 1994.
· Salmon, J. Warren. The Corporate Transformation of Health Care: Perspectives and Implications. Amityville, N.Y.: Baywood Pub. Co, 1990.
· Starr, Paul. The Social Transformation of American Medicine. New York: Basic Books, 1982
· Young, James Harvey. American Health Quackery: Collected Essays. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1992.
· Young, James Harvey. The Medical Messiahs, A Social History of Health Quackery in Twentieth-Century America. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1967.
· Baffi-Dugan, Carol, editor. Health Professions Admissions Guide. Sixth Edition. NAAHP, 2004.
· Iserson KV. Getting Into A Residency: A Guide For Medical Students, 6th edition. Tucson, AZ: Galen Press, Ltd., 2003.
· Iserson KV. Get Into Medical School! A Guide for the Perplexed, 2nd edition. Galen Press, Ltd., Tucson, AZ, 2004.
· Stelzer, Richard J. How To Write a Winning Personal Statement. Princeton, N.J.: Peterson’s Guides, 1993.
· Trachtenberg, Edward N. Premedical Advisor's Reference Manual. Seventh Edition – available to advisors only through NAAHP (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol. 22, No. 2, March 2002, pp. 75-78)
· Tysinger JW. Résumés and Personal Statements for Health Professionals., 2nd edition. Galen Press, Ltd., Tucson, AZ, 1999.
· Zebala, John and Jones, Daniel. Medical School Admissions: The Insider’s Guide. Memphis, TN: Mustang Publishing, 2000.
ALTERNATIVE AND COMPLEMENTARY MEDICINE
· Jones, Rosemary. Educational and Career Opportunities in Alternative Medicine. Rockland, CA: Prima Health, 1998.
· Gevitz, Norman. The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 1982. (reviewed in The Advisor, Vol.21, No.1, Dec. 2000, pp. 51-52)
· Moore, Stuart. Chiropractic in American: The History of a Medical Alternative. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1993. 1993
· Oz, Mehmet and Arias, Ron and Oz, Lisa. Healing from the Heart, The Power of Complementary Medicine. New York: Dutton ©1998.
· Diehl Crawford, Jane. The Preveterinary Planning Guide. Williams and Wilkins, 1995.
· Ford, Connie M. Aleen Cust, Veterinary Surgeon. Britain’s First Woman Vet. Bristol: BioPressLTD, 1990.
· Frey, Frederic. Phyllis, Phallus, Genghis Cohen, and Other Creatures I Have Known. Santa Barbara, CA: American Veterinary Publications, 1984.
· Gage, Loretta. If Wishes Were Horses. New York: St. Martins Press, 1993.
· Haddock, Sally. The Making of a Woman Vet. New York: Simon Schuster, 1985.
· Henderson, W. M. A Man of the Country. Edinburgh: Pentland Press, 1994.
· Herriot, James, All Creatures Great and Small. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1973.
· Herriot, James, All Things Wise and Wonderful. Boston: G.K. Hall, 1977.
· Herriot, James, The Lord God Made Them All. New York: Bantam Books, 1982.
· Herriot, James. All Things Bright and Beautiful. ONT: Collier-Macmillan, 1974.
· Karesh, William. Appointment at the Ends of the World. New York, NY: Warner Books, 1999.
· Manley, Frank. A Veterinary Odyssey. Hicksville, NY: Exposition Press, 1978.
· Miller, Robert M. Most of my Patients Are Animals. Middlebury, VT: P.S. Eriksson, 1985.
· Porter, James A. Doctor, Matilda’s in Labor. Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1986.
· Stobo, Thomas Whyte. A Vet’s Tale – the Passing Years. Southampton: Hamble Valley Press, 1993.
· Taylor, David. Is There A Doctor in the Zoo?. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1978.
· Taylor, David. Next Panda, Please. New York: Stein and Day, 1983.
· Taylor, David. Vet On the Wild Side. New York: St. Martin Press, 1990.
· Taylor, David. Zoo Vet: Adventure of a Wild Animal Doctor. Dell Publishing Co., Inc., 1978.
· Ware, Jean and Hunt, Hugh. The Several Lives of a Victorian Vet. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1980.
· Lassey, Marie L. and Lassie, William R. and Links, Martin R. Health Care Systems Around the World: Characteristics, Issues, and Reforms. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1997
NAAHP bibliography revised by LAS 10-04